India Central Monitoring System the surveillance project is prepared by the Telecom Enforcement, Resource and Monitoring (TREM) and Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) for India Government and being manned by the Intelligence Bureau. According to Anonymous the ICMS can monitor everything you do online, even without a suspicion of crime. This means that the government will have full access to your phone calls, chat logs and e-mails, even without telling you why.
They did not even said it t you that something like ICMS was there, but I have posted a link that has a Govt. document to prove it’s there.
What is the ICMS capable of doing?
- The system can monitor content like e-mails, chats, and transcribed call logs etc, documents, web forms, video files, audio files and internet content.
- It supports analytics including automated text mining, sentiment analysis, link analysis, geospatial analysis, statistical analysis, social network analysis, transaction analysis, location analysis and fusion based analysis from various sources.
- The system should be able to monitor targets like Internet Protocol address, login details, keywords, email, telephone location, new email ID details, IP range, links etc.
- It will be capable of complete email extraction including but not limited to address book, inbox, sent, drafts, personal folders, deleted folders etc.
- It will allow country wise tracking of IM, Chats & emails.
- Real time visualization screens showing results from real-time data and capability to transliterate to other languages.
See here for more detail report. http://www.slideshare.net/nextbigwhat/detailed-nit-ims-220413
Check this pdf its a Government Tender. http://mha.nic.in/writereaddata/13040930061_Tr-ITJ-290411.pdf
So basically in short it means that whatever you say , write on the internet or on your phone will be known to Government irrespective of the fact if you are a criminal or a good citizen. Freedom and Privacy has been thrown out of the window by the Government. In India there is no privacy law yet, which can protect you from infringement of privacy and other human rights.
Sign the petition started here http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Stop_CMS_Monitoring_and_respect_our_privacy/?wezpFeb may be we can stop it.
Do share it with your friends and family, the more people knows about it more are the chances to stop it.
Government should understand, that The Internet is not a part of the country they should not take over it.
Few major websites wrote about ICMS.
The Economic Times: http://www.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/central-monitoring-system-to-make-government-privy-to-phone-calls-text-messages-and-social-media-conversations/articleshow/19922528.cms?